The Tempe Police Department began our “Safe and Sober” campaign last week. This specific campaign remains ongoing through the entire month - and officers are out in force again this weekend. TPD places an emphasis on the safety, quality of life, and health challenges associated with alcohol related crimes throughout the year.
The results listed below are for the three days of Aug 15-17.
The results indicate we are on the right path and continuing with the campaign in the best interest of community safety. Several valley law enforcement agencies have pledged their assistance to our campaign by allocating both manpower and resources. The agencies listed below participated in this past weekend’s DUI Task Force and have committed to further participation in our upcoming Safe & Sober task forces:
Law Enforcement DUI Task Force Participants:
• Chandler PD
• Gilbert PD
• Glendale PD
• Governor’s Office of Highway Safety
• Mesa PD
• Scottsdale PD
Recap of arrests and enforcement actions resulting from the first three days of the Safe & Sober campaign, from Aug 15-17:
• Total Arrests - 371
• Total Cites - 867
• Total Contacts or Stops - 1,421
• Total DUI Arrests: 91 - (out of those 91; 17 Extreme DUI, 14 DUI Drugs, 2 Aggravated DUI, 6 Under 21 years of age DUI Cites)
• Average Blood Alcohol Content: .131
• Minor in Possession of Alcohol Arrest = 111
• Under 18 years, Minor in Possession of Alcohol =5
• 54 Total Loud Party Calls For Service
• 16 Nuisance Notices
• 14 Party Notices w Minors in Possession of Alcohol
Though a majority of this message recaps our enforcement efforts, it is important to note that enforcement is but one component of our Safe and Sober campaign. Other components have included partnering with social service agencies and media outlets to educate members of our community about the negative impact of youth alcohol consumption, overall crime prevention, our loud/nuisance party ordinance changes, and bicycle, pedestrian and traffic safety education in and around elementary, middle, high schools, the university, downtown and across our community.