Green and Mixed Waste Collection
Tempe has improved the way we collect green and mixed waste.
6 Collections Per Year:
- 4 collections dedicated to GREEN WASTE ONLY – so it can be turned into nutrient-rich compost that goes back into our parks, golf courses and gardens
- 2 collections for MIXED WASTE (uncontained bulk/brush and green waste)
The amount of green and mixed waste allowed for each collection will be limited to approximately 10 cubic yards – picture a pile about 15 feet long, 6 feet high and 3 feet deep, OR roughly the size of a full size pickup truck bed.
GREEN WASTE (vegetation):
- Tree trimmings and brush (tree limbs, branches, trunks and stumps) must be cut into four-foot lengths or shorter and less than 19 inches in diameter.
- Leaves, pine needles, small hedge clippings, etc. must be placed in a cardboard box or compostable lawn bag.
- Cactus clippings must be placed in a sealed cardboard container so they aren't hazardous to collection employees.
- NO oleanders, palm fronds, grass, weeds, or plastic-bagged items. These items are not allowed for Green Waste Collection because they don’t compost well. They should be placed out during Mixed Waste Collection or in your regular black/green trash bin if there's room.
MIXED (BULK) WASTE (those materials that are too large or bulky to fit in your black/green garbage container or blue recycling container):
- Furniture, non-Freon appliances, such as washers and microwaves, and other items too large to fit in the trash bin.
- Oleanders, palm fronds, bagged grass and weeds, other bagged items.
- All Green Waste items, as listed above. (Note: Green Waste collected during Mixed Waste collection will not be composted.)
- Plan your major brush and bulk disposal projects around the city’s collection schedule. See the schedule below or call 480-350-4311 for more information.
- Items should be placed out for collection no earlier than the weekend immediately before your collection week and must be placed out for collection no later than 6 a.m. on Monday of your scheduled collection week.
COLLECTION MAPS & SCHEDULES
Area A Area C Area E Area G
Area B Area D Area F Area H
click on map below for printable pdf