Tempe Cadets is a volunteer program for the Tempe Fire Department. Cadets volunteer a minimum of eight hours a week by taking park in department service aide, station tasks, training center service, inner department mail delivery and community service projects.
In return for their volunteer work, cadets can participate in the following types of activities:
Saturday Academy Activities
Saturday Academy along with the Salt River and Fountain Hills Explorers programs. The Saturday Academy fulfills nine fire science college credits through Mesa Community College. The Academy occurs every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. from August to May.
• Working in Turn Outs
• Using SCBA's
• Hose Lays
• Search and Rescue/Save Your Own
• Vehicle Extrication
• Advancing Hose Lines
• Live Burns
Upcoming Cadet Events - Cadets assist with local and regional events by participating in a variety of activities. Check back regularly for upcoming events.
Additional Cadet Programs
• Interview Mentorship Program - Cadets get Fire Department interview coaching to prepare for interviews.
• Ride Along program - Tempe Cadets participate in a ride-along program where they learn first hand about being a firefighter and get feedback from firefighter mentors.
Minimum qualifications to become a Tempe Fire Cadet:
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
• Cadets will be expected to volunteer a minimum of eight (8) hours per week, Mon. - Fri. , with the Fire Department. All other activities that the cadet wishes to participate in will be in addition to these eight hours.
• 18 years of age
• Valid driver’s licenses
• DPS finger print card
• CPR certification
• Passing a firefighter-style interview panel
Recruitment We are not accepting applications at this time. Please check back later.
Program Manager: Deputy Chief Fredricks
Lead Cadet Adviser: Captain Garcia