Hudson Park is the first of the approved park renovation and restoration program. The park was originally built in 1960 and renovation was completed and the park re-opened for use May 16, 2009. The park is named in honor of Arizona pioneer, Estmer (E.W.) Hudson.
Mr. Hudson was an Arizona pioneer who played an important role in the development of Arizona’s agricultural resources, especially the development of Pima cotton. Hudson worked for the USDA in Sacaton and was assigned to assist in the production of cotton, particularly in the Salt River Valley. In 1908, he became an assistant arboriculturalist with the USDA. In 1916, with Charles Henry Waterhouse and through the Arizona Agricultural Extension Service he helped introduce the new Egyptian cotton, commonly known as Pima cotton.
This new cotton quickly became the cash crop for many farmers in the Salt River Valley. The cotton was desired by the military and quickly replaced numerous other crops that were common to the area. The boon for cotton continued as the military sought as much production as could be grown. By 1920, World War I ended and the demand for cotton diminished significantly as many military contracts ended. As cotton production shifted to more traditional agricultural products, Hudson moved onto other pursuits.
In 1920, Hudson purchased 160 acres of land in what was then south Tempe and began a second career as a residential developer. His first project was College View and University Heights (1946-53) followed by Hudson Manor (1948-55) and Hudson Park (1958-59). Ultimately, he converted his vast land holdings (over 1,000 acres) in Tempe into residential development while he resided in the same two-story brick house he built for his family in 1920.
The original Hudson Park grew out of the last of the Hudson’s residential developments and opened for use in 1960. Its renovation marks the beginning of a significant milestone as Tempe begins the process or reinvesting in parks to make them more attractive and useful for future generations of Tempeans.
Park size is 3 acres.