Location: 919 S. Maple Avenue
Survey Number: HPS-231
Year Built: 1920
Architectural Style: Bungalow
The 1920 Nichols House is significant for its association with Tempe’s Gage Addition. It is also significant as a local variant of Bungalow-style residential architecture.
The Gage Addition, just west of the ASU campus, forms the northernmost part of Tempe’s Maple-Ash neighborhood. Platted in 1909, the Gage Addition contains homes built primarily during the first half of the twentieth century, and could qualify as an historic district.
T. W. Nichols, a local contractor, acquired undeveloped Lot 6, Block 28 of the Gage Addition in November 1920 and built the house at 919 South Maple Avenue soon thereafter. His first tenants were William and Ruby Baker; William worked as an auto mechanic in a local garage. In 1923 Nichols lost the property through a lien claimed by the J. D. Halstead Lumber Company. In 1925 J. D. Halstead sold the property to Leonard Vance, a local baker, who occupied the house with his wife, Josephine, and four children through 1940.
The Nichols House is a one-story, wood-frame, Bungalow-style house. Rectangular in plan, the house sits on a crawlspace foundation with asbestos shingle siding topped by a low-pitched, front-gabled roof with asphalt shingles and vertical louvered gable vents. A front porch supported by two square wood posts and topped by a low-pitched, front-gabled roof shades the house’s single-leaf entryway. Windows are paired wood casement.
Tempe city directories and telephone directories
US Census records
Sanborn Map records
Property records on file at the Maricopa County Recorder’s Office