Officially named on April 30, 1983, the park was named to recognize the numerous contributions of Antonio and Ophelia Celaya to the citizens of Tempe.
Antonio arrived in Arizona in 1870. Well know locally as both a merchant and organizer his first job upon relocating to Arizona was at the Hayden Flour Mill. He worked at the Mill until 1897 when he left to establish his own mercantile business which he successfully operated for over 25 years. He was an active member of the Alianza Hispano Americana, a well know fraternal organization of the southwest serving as supreme trustee and supreme secretary for over 15 years.
His daughter Ophelia was a native of Tempe, born in 1893. A lifetime Tempe resident, she graduated from Tempe High in 1912, and was the recipient of the Niels Petersen Award for highest grade point average in her class. She served for over 40 years as a clerk stenographer for the US Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology.
Park size is 5.5 acres.