The following items will be collected in the monthly collection program when properly prepared and placed:
- Tree limbs, branches, trunks and stumps--must be cut to 4 foot lengths or shorter and be less than 19 inches in diameter.
- Grass, leaves, weeds, cactus, hedge clippings must be bagged and securely tied or boxed.
- Palm fronds of any length that are stacked neatly or bagged.
- Keep bulky household items (discarded furniture and cardboard boxes) separate from green waste.
- Appliances are not picked up as of August 1st, 2012 and can recycled or repurposed by using various companies click here
- Appliances including refrigerators, freezers, water heaters, dishwashers, washing machines and dryers can be brought to the HPCC for proper disposal during operating hours
Brush & Bulky Item Collection Schedule click here
Residents shall NOT place dirt, rock, concrete, bricks, blocks, asphalt, roofing materials, construction / remodeling debris, lumber, railroad ties, paint, motor oil, or any other hazardous waste materials in the bins. You must properly dispose of these materials yourself. Disposal options include renting a city roll-off container (click here) taking materials to the public dump, or taking the materials to the Household Products Collection Center.It is a city code violation for residents to place brush or bulky items at curb or in alley more than 10 days prior to the scheduled collection week.
Important: If you hire a landscaper or contractor, they must haul away all debris and materials. They are not allowed to place items in the alleyway, street or refuse container.
Proper Placement for Collection
If you have curb side or alley collection, acceptable items must be placed parallel to your own property line. This includes appliances, such as refrigerators, that have been requested to be picked up by the City for disposal. City crews are not permitted to enter private property to remove items for bulk disposal. If you have a special needs request for assistance in removing an item that you would normally place out for collection yourself but are unable to, you must submit a request in writing by letter or email to the Solid Waste Services Manager and each request will be considered on a case by case basis. The request may be mailed to:
Mary Helen Giustizia, Manager
City of Tempe
Solid Waste Services
55 S. Priest
Tempe, AZ 85281
Place items to be collected where they can be easily seen, but are not blocked by vehicles or near fire hydrants. Items must be placed as neatly as possible and can not block or obstruct the sidewalk in any way.
If you have alley collection, acceptable items must be placed on your side of the alley, and neatly stacked along your property line. Don't block the alley or it won't be possible to pick up your trash or your refuse container. All materials must be stacked as neatly as possible, parallel to your alley, and at least 2 feet away from any solid waste container, gas meter, telephone or cable TV box, or any other utility junction box. Trying to collect improperly placed green waste/bulky items could damage these structures, disrupt your service, and require costly repairs.
Collection crews will not collect items if they are improperly placed or unsafe to collect.