The Highline Canal Multi-use Path is identified in the Comprehensive Transportation Plan and the Tempe 2030 and 2040 General plans. Phoenix and Chandler have portions (completed and incomplete) of the regional Highline Canal, and the Town of Guadalupe has funding to build a portion in their community.
The purpose of the project is to design and construct a 10-foot wide concrete multi-use path with lighting, landscaping and public art. The project includes street crossing treatments and possible bicycle/pedestrian bridges across the canal. The project is located along the Tempe portion of the Highline Canal and links directly to Chandler and the Town of Guadalupe for a distance of 3.5 miles.
Public meetings will likely be held in 2015.
The project has been presented to the Transportation Commission and to a funding review panel at the Maricopa Association of Governments. A public outreach process will begin in spring 2014.
- $65,000 - MAG regional pedestrian design assistance funds (working with Tempe based landscape architecture team Coffman Studio)
- $200,000 - Tempe CIP design funds
- $3.24 Million Transportation Alternatives federal grant award
Project time line:
- Public outreach process beginning spring 2014.
- Construction documents summer 2015 to fall 2016.
- Begin construction fall 2016/spring 2017.
- Opening of project fall 2017/spring 2018.
For more information, contact Project Manager, Eric Iwersen, at 480-350-8810.