The Highline Canal Multi-use Path is identified in the Comprehensive Transportation Plan and the Tempe 2030 and 2040 General plans. Phoenix and Chandler have portions (completed and incomplete) of the regional Highline Canal, and the Town of Guadalupe has funding to build a portion in their community.
The purpose of the project is to design and construct a 10-foot wide concrete multi-use path with lighting, landscaping and public art. The project includes street crossing treatments and possible bicycle/pedestrian bridges across the canal. The project is located along the Tempe portion of the Highline Canal and links directly to Chandler and the Town of Guadalupe for a distance of 3.5 miles.
The project has been presented to the Tempe Transportation Commission and to a funding review panel at the Maricopa Association of Governments.
- $65,000 - MAG regional pedestrian design assistance funds (working with Tempe based landscape architecture team Coffman Studio)
- $200,000 - Tempe CIP design funds
- $3.24 Million Transportation Alternatives federal grant award
- Public meeting: January 19, 2016 @ 6 p.m. at the Tempe Union High School District, 500 W. Guadalupe Road
- Begin construction: Spring 2016
- Opening of project: Fall 2017
For more information, contact Project Manager, Robert Yabes,at 480-350-2734.