With 35 miles of adopted roadways, Tempe’s Adopt-A-Street program allows individuals, businesses and organizations to help maintain and remove litter from Tempe’s streets. The program is a way to coordinate year-round opportunities for neighborhood groups, community organizations and local businesses to continue to enhance the appearance, safety and cleanliness of Tempe streets.
The Adopt-A-Street Program supports litter control and storm water management throughout Tempe, while providing residents with an opportunity to do something positive for the community by volunteering to keep our neighborhood clean.
Most major streets and some side streets are available for adoption. The length of an adoptable street is a minimum of one mile, but no more than two miles. The commitment is a few hours each cleaning period with a minimum of one clean up every three months for two years. Signs providing information related to the litter control effort and crediting the volunteer or sponsor organization are paid for and installed by the city.
To adopt a street, call 480-350-8428, complete a volunteer agreement form and a sign request form and mail them to: City of Tempe Transportation Division, Attn: Steve Horstman at PO Box 5002, Tempe, AZ 85280 or fax them to 480-858-2097. You will be contacted after the forms have been received to go over the agreement and schedule the Adopt-A-Street sign installation to recognize your organization for helping to keep Tempe streets clean.
Once approved to Adopt-A-Street:
1) Have all volunteers sign the Release and Waiver of Liability Form.
2) Call 480-350-8428 at least two weeks in advance to schedule the event and reserve safety vests and litter bags for your group.
3) Pick up safety vests and litter bags at the Transportation Maintenance building located at 945 West Rio Salado Pkwy.
4) Review the Adopt-A-Street safety requirements with all volunteers at or prior to the event.
5) Hold the event and complete the activity report form.
6) Return safety vests and the activity report form to the City.
Call 480-350-8428 or send an e-mail to Steve Horstman to find out more about adopting a street.