Type in your address below to find your trash, recycling and bulk trash & green organics schedule.
Holiday schedule and collection day changes
The holidays are here which means some Tempe residents may see changes to their collection days on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Click here for the 2015 holiday schedule to see if your collection day is impacted.
Recycle your holiday cooking grease
Whether you stuff, roast or deep-fry the bird, holiday cooking can create a significant amount of grease. You can help put that grease to good use – and keep it from ruining your pipes – by having it recycled. The City of Tempe offers for convenient drop off locations where residents can recycle turkey grease and other used cooking oil. Tempe residents can drop off used grease beginning Sunday, Nov. 22 through Monday, Jan. 4 at four Tempe locations:
- Household Products Collection Center – 1320 E. University Dr.
- Fire Station #2 – 3025 S. Hardy Dr.
- Fire Station #3 – 5440 S. McClintock Dr.
- Fire Station #4 – 300 E. Elliot Rd.
Residents can pour fryer and cooking grease directly into barrels at the collection locations or simply place containers of grease on a spill-proof surface next to the barrels.
New utility rates in effect on Jan. 1
On Nov. 19, 2015, City Council approved adjustments to city utility charges, which include fees for water, sewer and solid waste services. The new rates will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2016. The fee for the median single family home in Tempe is expected to increase by about $2.50 a month.
November bulk waste collection in areas E, F, G and H
Tempe has enhanced its Bulk Trash and Green Organics program to provide a more environmentally-friendly service while also reducing costs. The 2015 schedule included more frequent pickups for mixed bulk trash and an optional program to recycle and compost your green waste. The remaining collections for 2015 will be for bulk trash only - green organics collection will resume in March. Click here for more information on the program.
Follow the link below for your 2015 collection schedule and check back in early December for 2016 updates.
Are you a recycling expert?
Refresh your blue bin knowledge and help us keep our recycling stream clean and free of contamination. Click here for a list of acceptable and unacceptable recycling items and read on for some leading culprits of contamination...
- Food and liquid - Please remove all food and liquid from items before placing in the blue bin.
- Polystyrene (StyrofoamTM) packaging – This material should not be placed in your blue bin. Please recycle at Earth Friendly Building Materials, LLC (205 South Industrial Drive, Tempe, AZ 85281). Drop-off locations are accessible 24/7.**No plastic or StyrofoamTM plates or cups.
- Plastic bags – Clean retail bags, newspaper bags, bread bags, cereal box liners, toilet paper wrap, bubble wrap and air pillows can be recycled at the following Bag Central Station recycling locations: Albertsons, Bashas', Food City, AJ's Fine Foods, Fry’s, Fry’s Marketplace, Fry's Mercado, El Rancho Market, Los Altos Ranch Market, Safeway, Sprouts, and Walmart.
- "Wrappable" items - Garden hoses, extension chords, Christmas tree lights, strapping and any item that can wrap itself around sorting equipment and become tangled.
SOLID WASTE AND RECYCLING SERVICES