Tempe Cadets is a volunteer program for the Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Department. Cadets volunteer a minimum of four hours a week by taking part in department service aide, station tasks, training center service, inner department mail delivery and community service projects.
We are currently accepting applications until the needs of the department are met. Applications must contain a current copy of your driver's license and must be turned in, in person, at Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Administration, 1400 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe. Application
In return for their volunteer work, cadets can participate in the following types of activities:
Saturday Academy Activities
Saturday Academy along with the Salt River and Fountain Hills Explorers programs. The Saturday Academy fulfills nine fire science college credits through Mesa Community College. The Academy occurs every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. from August to May.
• Working in Turn Outs
• Using SCBA's
• Hose Lays
• Search and Rescue/Save Your Own
• Vehicle Extrication
• Advancing Hose Lines
• Live Burns
Upcoming Cadet Events - Cadets assist with local and regional events by participating in a variety of activities. Check back regularly for upcoming events.
Additional Cadet Programs
• Interview Mentorship Program - Cadets get Fire Medical Rescue Department interview coaching to prepare for interviews.
• Ride Along program - Tempe Cadets participate in a ride-along program where they learn first hand about being a firefighter and get feedback from firefighter mentors.
Minimum qualifications to become a Tempe Fire Medical Rescue Cadet:
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
• Cadets will be expected to volunteer a minimum of four (4) hours per week, Mon. - Fri. , between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. with the Fire Medical Rescue Department. All other activities that the cadet wishes to participate in will be in addition to these four hours.
• 18 years of age
• Valid driver’s licenses
• DPS finger print card
• CPR certification
• Passing a firefighter-style interview panel
Program Manager: Deputy Chief Glass
Lead Cadet Adviser: Captain Garcia