by Mary Erickson, Ph.D. and Arizona art teacher Hillary Andrelchik
Tricks of Perfection provides activities that teachers can use can use
- to prepare young people to explore the Masters of Illusion exhibition at the Tempe Center for the Arts (TCA),
- to focus their attention during a visit and
- to create illusion in their own artworks.
- Lesson One: Welcome to the Magic Show
- Lesson Two: And the Curtain Goes up…
- Lesson Three: Tricks of the Trade
- Tricks of Perfection PowerPoint
- How did they do that? PowerPoint
- Watch My Hands Closely (pdf)
- Now You Try PowerPoint
- Interesting Composition Worksheet (pdf)
- Optional Questor’s Questions about Realistic Art
- #2 pencils
- Variety of flat items to use as subject matter for drawing in Tricks of the Trade lesson.
- White drawing paper
- Computer and Digital Projector or SmartBoard
- Sneak Peek of Masters of Illusion PowerPoint
- Masters of Illusion Exhibition Artists
- Mary Erickson Ventures
Richard Haas for permission to use photographs of his trompe l’oeil mural.
Patrick Bailey, Clinton T. Hobart, Ellen Murray Meissinger, John Schieffer for permission to reproduce their artwork used in Lesson Three.
Tom Eckert for permission to reproduce his artwork for Lesson One.
Hillary Andrelchik and Mary Erickson for photography.
Hillary Andrelchik for sample drawings.