The City of Tempe Neighborhood Revitalization + Redevelopment Division creates and implements economically and environmentally sustainable community solutions, ultimately serving to improve the quality of life in Tempe and the metropolitan region.
We are charged with a wide variety of tasks including redevelopment, affordable housing assistance, targeted neighborhood revitalization, and property management of city-owned land.
Neighborhood revitalization is the idea of enhancing neighborhood resources, economic development, public services, and the quality of life for residents. These goals are usually achieved in neighborhood revitalization by fundraising through local governments, non-profit organizations, small businesses, and community groups.
- Provide homeownership through first time homebuyer and down payment assistance programs
- Increase the quality of owner-occupied housing through housing rehabilitation assistance
- Increase the habitability of owner-occupied houisng with emergency repair assistance
- Targeted Neighborhood Revitalization Program
- Support agencies providing affordable housing through site acquisition and development activities
Redevelopment is a proactive tool that is intended to encourage reinvestment, revitalization and reuse in designated areas. It is generally used when conventional planning techniques are unable to address the complex, unique or extreme nature of a problem or opportunity. Tempe Redevelopment Staff works closely with residents, businesses, property owners, and stakeholders to advance concepts and strategies which guide future development while providing the tools and resources necessary to achieve the desired outcome.
- Ensure the provision of adequate infrastructure
- Encourage redevelopment and or reuse
- Elimination of slum and blight
- Stimulate private investment
- Attract new development in targeted areas
- Develop policies and programs to assist with the supply of workforce housing
- Public/Private Partnerships
- Community Outreach and Education
- On-going Public Involvement
21 East 6th Street, Suite 208 Tempe, AZ 85281
Second Floor, OrchidHouse Building, south of Tempe City Hall
Larry Schmalz Revitalization and Redevelopment Supervisor - 480 350-8924 firstname.lastname@example.org