Samuel C. Long House (1910)
The 1910 Bungalow style Samuel C. Long House originally at 27 East 6th Street and now moved to Olde Towne Square is significant as representative of the first major building boom in Tempe; for its association with its builders, James W. Woolf and Milton H. Meyer; and for its architectural qualities as the best preserved local example of a concrete block, Bungalow style residence in Tempe.
The Samuel C. Long House is significant for its association with the early concrete block manufacturing industry and with the builders J. W. Wolfe and M. H. Meyer, local promoters of the industry. The house is the best preserved local example of a concrete block, Bungalow style residence in Tempe. Built in 1910, the house is representative of the first major building boom in Tempe which was to last until the post-World War I depression. The builders (Meyer and Woolf) were responsible for the initial development of the concrete block industry in Tempe. By the end of 1910, their Tempe plant was producing building blocks of various sizes, concrete tiling, and headgates for irrigation.
Local contractors James W. Woolf and Milton H. Meyer began construction on the Samuel C. Long House 1910 at 27 East 6th Street (southeast corner of 6th Street and Mill Avenue). Milton J. Meyer, a local carpenter and craftsman, was the first to introduce the use of concrete block as a construction material in Tempe. Meyer is credited with the construction of many buildings in the Valley, including eight churches in Glendale, Phoenix, and Tempe. He is also associated with the first major building expansion program at the Tempe Normal School (now ASU) as the principal carpentry contractor for buildings constructed between 1905 and 1916. With financial backing from James W. Woolf, a longtime Tempe resident and prominent citizen, Meyer moved the concrete block industry forward.
The Samuel C. Long House is a single-story residence, rectangular in plan, constructed of rusticated concrete blocks. It is surmounted by a steep, corrugated metal covered gable roof with the ridge running parallel to the main façade. The front slope of the roof projects over the front porch which runs the length of the front façade and is supported by four pre-cast concrete columns of Ionic Neo-Classical design. The main entryway is reached by three concrete steps flanked by rusticated concrete block walls. On either side of the entry door are one-over-one, double hung, wood sash windows. Two similar windows occur in each of the gable-end walls. A hipped roof over the rear of the house intersects with the slope of the main gable roof. Both roof slopes have centrally positioned, shed-roofed ventilating dormers with thee louvered grills. A single matching louvered grill occurs high in the shingled gable end walls. The interior is divided into six rooms; a parlor-dining room, two bedrooms and a bathroom in the front, and a kitchen and additional bedroom in the rear section of the house. The original flooring, most of the doors, casings, and windows remain intact.
The property was added to National Register in 1980, then subsequently dismantled and rebuilt at Olde Towne Square in 1992. Now lacking integrity of location, this property remains eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under National Park Service Criterion B and C.