Morrow-Hudson House

Location:  1203 E. Alameda Dr.
Survey Number: HPS-102
Year Built: 1904
Architectural Style: Queen Anne Victorian

SUMMARY
The Morrow - Hudson House is significant for its association with Thomas Morrow, one of the first homesteaders south of the Salt River near Tempe; and with E. W. Hudson, the man who leveled the Salt River Valley

A: HISTORIC EVENTS
Thomas Morrow was one of the first homesteaders south of the Salt River near Tempe. He became instrumental in development and expansion of the local canal system and the opening up of large amounts of desert acreage to agricultural use.

B: PERSONS
During his 35 years as a farmer and cattle rancher, Thomas Morrow also served as a director of the Tempe Irrigating Canal Co., was zanjero of the Tempe Canal, supervised its widening as well as construction of many of he laterals which extended water to the lands served by the Canal system. Thomas Morrow donated land for the Rural School.

Estmer (E.W.) Hudson was an Arizona pioneer who played an important role in the development of Arizona’s agricultural resources, especially the development of Pima cotton. In 1916, with Charles Henry Waterhouse and through the Arizona Agricultural Extension Service he helped introduce the new Egyptian cotton, commonly known as Pima cotton. The war-time cotton demand lead to vast areas of irrigable land being precisely leveled to meet the demands of this hybrid. This requirement almost literally paved the way for subsequent development of the fields for residential subdivisions. When World War I ended and the demand for cotton diminished Hudson moved onto other pursuits. In 1920, Hudson purchased 160 acres of land in what was then south Tempe and began a second career as a residential developer. His first project was College View and University Heights (1946-53) followed by Hudson Manor (1948-55) and Hudson Park (1958-59). Ultimately, he converted his vast land holdings (over 1,000 acres) in Tempe into residential development while he and his family resided in the Thomas Morrow house which he had remodeled.

C: ARCHITECTURE
Built in 1904, this large brick house is all that remains of the original 160-acre Thomas Morrow homestead. Although this building has gone through some alterations it still retains its Queen Anne Victorian style and its overall historic character.

SOURCES
National Register Nomination, 1984

Tempe History Museum Tempe Historic Property Survey - Morrow/Hudson House